Accessing the Quit Coaches is a good option for someone needing some guidance on getting started with quitting or reducing smoking. The Quit Coaches can customize support based on your personal situation and preferences. Quit Coaches know all the best quitting strategies and can help you decide which one will work best for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should call our phone service?
Here are just some of the reasons you might want to call a Quit Coach:
- You are trying to quit within the next month
- You have already quit smoking, but could use some extra support
- You are feeling strong cravings and worried you are on the verge of relapse
- You would like to help a friend or family member quit smoking
- You are a health care provider who wants to help your patients/clients
How does the phone service work?
When you first speak with a Quit Coach assistant, they will take your contact information and brief smoking history. Next, if you are ready to set a quit date, you'll be scheduled for your first call with a Quit Coach. There are a total of eight calls but you can stop scheduling calls when you want to. Here is what to expect:
Call #1 On your first scheduled call, your Quit Coach will:
- Assess your readiness to quit
- Help you pick a quit date
- Help you build a Quit Plan that includes tips and tools to get you ready
- Discuss quit medications and explain your options
Call #2 Your Quit Coach will call you about 2 days before your quit date to:
- Review your Quit Plan and help you address difficult situations that might trip you up
- Check in to see how you are feeling about your quit date
- Reinforce your decision to quit on your chosen date
Call #3 On your scheduled quit date, your Quit Coach will call to:
- See how you are doing and how the quitting medications are working (if you are using them)
- Review quitting tips and ways to deal with tough situations
- Answer any extra questions you might have
Call #4 Your Quit Coach will call you a couple of days after your quit date to:
- Check on your progress
- Review the challenges
- Reinforce your reasons for quitting
- Help you with new coping strategies
- Help you get back on track if you have had a slip
Call #5, #6 & #7 Your Quit Coach will make a call seven days, 30-days and 90-days after your quit date to:
- See how you are doing and provide support as needed
- Help you plan for your tobacco-free future
- While this is your final scheduled call, your QuitCoach will invite you to call back at any time if you experience any difficulties
Call #8 Follow up:
Several months after our last conversation we will follow up to check in, see how you are doing, and ask you to complete a short survey about your experience -- which helps us evaluate our service and improve it for the future.
When is the phone service available?
The service is available 24/7.
Quit Coaches are available to 9am - 9pm (PST), Monday - Friday, and 9am - 5pm on weekends and holidays.
Their assistants are available during their off hours.