Phone Service FAQ
- Anyone looking for help to quit or to help others quit. Even healthcare providers looking for answers to specific smoking-related questions can call.
Examples of people who use our phone service
- A smoker who wants to quit within the next 30 days
- Someone who’s already quit but needs more support
- A panic caller who has already quit but feels they might slip and need to talk to a quit coach ASAP
- Someone who wants information on how to support a friend or family member
- A health professional seeking general or specific information
- When you call 1.877.455.2233, you'll speak to the same quit coach each time. Any info you discuss is confidential.
When you first speak with a quit coach assistant, they will take your contact information and a brief smoking history. Next, if you're ready to set a quit date, you'll be scheduled for your first of 5 call backs with a quit coach. Here is what to expect:
Call #1: On your first scheduled call, your quit coach will assess your readiness to quit, help you pick a quit date, and help establish a quit plan that includes tips and tools to get you ready. You will also discuss whether quit smoking medications are a possibility. Your coach will schedule the second call for a time that works with your schedule.
Call #2: Your quit coach will call you about 2 days before your quit date to review your quit plan and help you address difficult situations that might trip you up. They’ll also check in to see how you’re feeling about your quit date, and reinforce your decision to quit on your chosen date. Your coach will also schedule your third call.
Call #3: Quit Day! Your quit coach will call you on your scheduled quit date to see how you are doing and how the quitting medications are working (if you are using them). They will review quitting tips and ways to deal with tough situations, answer any questions you have, and arrange for the fourth call.
Call #4: Your quit coach will call you a couple of days after your quit date to check on your progress, review the challenges, and reinforce your reasons for quitting. Your quit coach will help you with new coping strategies, help you get back on track if you’ve had a slip, and schedule your fifth call.
Call #5: Your quit coach will make a final call seven days after your quit date to see how you are doing, provide support and help you plan for your tobacco-free future. While this is your final scheduled call, your quit coach will invite you to call back at any time if you experience any difficulties. Don't feel bad if you have a slip - quitting is a process, and our phone team will help you get back on track.